Draconian sentences passed on Musandam activists!
Draconian sentences passed on Musandam activists who campaigned for reforms.
OCHR appeals to international rights community to intervene.
The Court of Appeal in Muscat has handed down draconian sentences against four Omani citizens in Musandam Governorate for their peaceful activism in calling for reforms in the governorate. They were charged with prejudicing the security and unity of the country and its territories by using information technology. The Omani security authorities had arrested a several of them at intervals over a period of time:
• Ali Mohamed al-Mazyoud al-Shehhi (arrested in April) was sentenced on October 8, 2018 to life imprisonment and fined 1,000 riyals ($2,600).
• Ali Ahmad Rajab al-Shehhi (arrested in April) was sentenced on October 8, 2018 to life imprisonment and fined 1,000 riyals ($2,600).
• Mohamed Abdullah Ahmad al-Shehhi (arrested in May) was sentenced on September 24, 2018 to life imprisonment and fined 1,000 riyals ($2,600).
• Mohamed bin Sulaiman bin Mazyoud al-Shehhi (arrested in May) was sentenced on September 24, 2018 to life imprisonment.
Other were arrested but subsequently released:
• Rashed Sa’id Mansour al-Shehhi and Khaled Sa’id Hamdan al-Shehhi were arrested in April and released a month later.
• Mohamed Salem Ahmad al-Shehhi was arrested in May and released after a week.
• Ali Sa’id al-Hamoudi al-Shehhi, detained in July, was released toward the end of August.
The Omani Centre for Human Rights urgently calls on the international human rights community to intervene to seek a review of these men’s trials and condemn the violations of the rights of the accused. The OCHR has learned from its own sources that members of the defendants’ families were barred from the courtrooms during sentencing. The judicial authorities also delayed delivery of the documents containing the verdicts to all of those sentenced, using up some of the time legally available for them to appeal.
For previous articles relating to this case follow the links below: